LA JOLLA RESIDENCE_Fresh and Modern Kitchen
V I S I O N
The vision was to open the kitchen, utilizing the entire space, centering the room with a large island and bar seating.
Discovering Opportunities for Improvement
- The tight kitchen work space had a low flat ceiling and a small patio door hidden in the corner.
- Natural light was an issue as well. A dramatic change occurred with the addition of French doors, larger windows and skylights.
- The north wall was reconfigured, we closed off the single patio door and used the space for pantry storage and oven, while enlarging the windows to allow more light and increased view of the greenery outside.
- Decorative beams frame the skylights and highlight the architectural quality of the sloped ceiling which now integrates the entire room.
- Sitting one step up for the formal dining room, the kitchen was divided in two spaces with the flooring running perpendicular to each-other.
The final result was a completely updated floorplan with uniquely curated finishes to match. Custom Maple cabinets with base color and satin tinted glaze. Features include pull-out pantry, multiple rollouts and 2 trash/ recycling bins.
Most of the kitchen is constructed with overlay cabinets except for the area between the French doors and desk. This was designed to read like an inset furniture piece to both add detail to the area and create a clear division of space.
The kitchen features brushed brass pulls and a stainless steel & brass faucet. Antiqued mirror tiles make up the back-splash. The drop pendant lights over the island add to the contemporary twist.